NormaTec is the leader in rapid recovery-our systems give a competitive edge to the world's elite athletes, coaches, and trainers. Our goal is to establish recovery as an integral part of every athlete's training, and we feel NormaTec systems are the best way to accomplish that.
The NormaTec PULSE Recovery Systems are dynamic compression devices designed for recovery and rehab. All of our systems use NormaTec's patented PULSE technology to help athletes recover faster between trainings and after performance. Our systems include a control unit and attachments which go on the legs, arms, or hips. They use compressed air to massage your limbs, mobilize fluid, and speed recovery with our patented NormaTec Pulse Massage Pattern.
When you use our systems, you will first experience a pre-inflate cycle, during which the connected attachments are molded to your exact body shape. The session will then begin by compressing your feet, hands, or upper quad (depending on which attachment you are using). Similar to the kneading and stroking done during a massage, each segment of the attachment will first compress in a pulsing manner and then release. This will repeat for each segment of the attachment as the compression pattern works its way up your limb.
HOW NORMATEC WORKS
Created by a physician bioengineer (MD, PhD) to enhance blood flow and speed recovery, NormaTec Pulse Massage Pattern employs three key techniques to maximize your recovery:
PULSING: Instead of using static compression (squeezing) to transport fluid out of the limbs, Sequential Pulse Technology uses dynamic compression (pulsing). Our patented pulsing action more effectively mimics the muscle pump of the legs and arms, greatly enhancing the movement of fluid and metabolites out of the limbs after an intense workout.
GRADIENTS: Veins and lymphatic vessels have one-way valves that prevent fluid backflow. Similarly, NormaTec Pulse Technology uses hold pressures to keep fluids from being forced in the wrong direction. Because of this enhancement, instead of tapering pressure off, the PULSE and PULSE PRO can deliver maximum pressure in every zone.
DISTAL RELEASE: Because extended static pressure can be detrimental to the body's normal circulatory flow, Sequential Pulse Technology releases the hold pressures once they are no longer needed to prevent backflow. By releasing the hold pressure in each zone as soon as possible, each portion of the limb gains maximal rest time without a significant pause between compression cycles.
THE SCIENCE OF NORMATEC RECOVERY
NormaTec's founder, a physician bioengineer (MD, PhD), recognized the powerful potential of external dynamic compression and its crucial role in healing and recovery. The concept of using external compression to aid the body with its normal circulatory processes has been around since the 1960s; however, the science of compression had no major technological advances during the first 40 years of its use. After trying every available compression pump on the market with only unimpressive clinical results, NormaTec's founder realized that the key to advancing the technology of external compression is improving the massage pattern. Thus NormaTec developed and patented Sequential Pulse Technology, and the NormaTec Recovery System was born.
Sequential Pulse Technology is based on normal physiology, and it synergistically combines three distinctive massage techniques to speed the body's normal recovery process.
1) Pulsing: Instead of using static compression (squeezing) to transport fluid out of the limbs, Sequential Pulse Technology uses dynamic compression (pulsing). Our patented pulsing action more effectively mimics the muscle pump of the legs and arms, greatly enhancing the movement of fluid and metabolites out of the limbs after an intense workout.
2) Gradients: Veins and lymphatic vessels have one-way valves that prevent backflow of fluid. Similarly, Sequential Pulse Technology utilizes gradient hold pressures to keep your body's fluids from being forced down toward your feet by the pulsing action in proximal zones. Because of this enhancement, Sequential Pulse Technology can deliver maximum pressure throughout the entire limb and the effectiveness of the pulsing action is not diminished near the top of the limb.
3) Distal release: Because extended static pressure can be detrimental to the body's normal circulatory flow, Sequential Pulse Technology releases the hold pressures once they are no longer needed to prevent backflow. By releasing the hold pressure in each zone as soon as possible, each portion of the limb gains maximal rest time without a significant pause between compression cycles.
While a healthy athlete's body eventually will recover from an intense workout, using the Sequential Pulse Technology found only in a NormaTec Recovery System for just 20 minutes can speed recovery.
NormaTec decreases recovery time between workouts with the added benefit of performance enhancements. Normatec Compression Therapy also works wonders for individuals suffering from inflammation, swelling and poor circulation. You may also benefit from the NormaTec devices if you have: lymphedema; non-healing wounds; cellulitis varicose veins; cramping and pain after walking short distances or other circulatory problems.
"The purpose of this study was to assess peristaltic pulse dynamic compression (PPDC) in reducing short-term pressure-to-pain threshold (PPT) among Olympic Training Center athletes after morning training. [...]
We conclude that PPDC is a promising means of accelerating and enhancing recovery after the normal aggressive training that occurs in Olympic and aspiring Olympic athletes." -view article on pubmed.
PERISTALTIC PULSE COMPRESSION UPREGULATES PGC-1Α AND ENOS IN HUMAN MUSCLE TISSUE.
"We investigated whether a single 60 min bout of whole-leg, lower pressure external pneumatic compression (EPC) altered select vascular, metabolic, antioxidant and inflammation-related mRNAs. [...]
An acute bout of EPC transiently upregulates PGC-1α mRNA, while also upregulating eNOS protein and NOx concentrations in vastus lateralis biopsy samples" -view article on pubmed.
PERISTALTIC PULSE COMPRESSION OF THE LOWER EXTREMITY ENHANCES FLEXIBILITY.
"The purpose of this study was to determine the acute effects of a single bout of peristaltic pulse EPC on peripheral conduit and resistance artery function. [...]
Acutely, whole limb, lower pressure EPC improves conduit artery endothelial function systemically, but only improves RH blood flow locally (i.e., compressed limbs)." -view article on pubmed.
"This study investigated the effects of peristaltic pulse dynamic compression (PPDC) on range-of-motion (ROM) changes in forward splits. [...]
PPDC provides a means of rapidly enhancing acute ROM requiring less discomfort and time." -view article on pubmed. PERIPHERAL CONDUIT AND RESISTANCE ARTERY FUNCTION ARE IMPROVED FOLLOWING PERISTALTIC PULSE COMPRESSION.
With new interactions and capabilities, our PRO system is the most advanced rehab and recovery solution on the market. Customize every aspect of your compression with our advanced TOUCHSCREEN interface.
- Fully customizable through our powerful touchscreen interface
- REHAB AND RECOVERY in one small package
- Recovery for every athlete anywhere with our ultra portable design and internal battery
- Recovery Flush for quick and easy sessions
- Extra attention where you need it most with Zone Boost
- Patented NormaTec Pulse Technology